Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Getting to know



We have spent the last few days individually interviewing several of the Suubi women. It is exciting and heartbreaking to hear their stories. This has been partially for the documentary, but also so that we can get to know them a little better. I never thought I would know anyone who had their entire family killed before their eyes. Nearly all of the women are from Northern villages, and had several family members killed by the rebels in the North. They fled here to Jinja. Most had homes and land on which they could grow crops to sustain their family in the North. When they came here, they had to start paying for rent, clothing, food, and schooling for their children. They were not used to working, so many have found it very difficult to find jobs (there are very few anyways). Women also told of seeing their family locked in their homes and being burned to death....horrifying to say the least, and these people lived through it. And much more, they still have so much love, compassion, and joy that they share with their community and us. I feel like we (mostly the long term volunteers, not myself as much) are really becoming part of their community as well. We have had to set boundaries to their hospitality (they buy is cokes when we come to their homes), and told the women that we no longer want to be guests in their homes, but be sisters, brothers, and servants. It is difficult for them to see a Mzungu (white person) washing clothes, or sweeping the floor, or cleaning dishes, but they are starting to get used to it. At first, they just laughed as we told them that we wanted to start doing those things more, but it is getting better now.
The chairperson for the Suubi women asked me to come see her sister who is sick yesterday. We walked through many mud hut with grass roofed villages until we came to her home. She is a 28 year old mother of 3. Thankfully, they carry their medical chart with them here, so I was able to look through it, and then examine her. She has had endocarditis (infection of the valves of the heart) for over a year, which has caused her to go into heart failure. She is unable to afford the antibiotics for a sufficient length to eradicate the infection. The medicine costs less than $5 a month. We are going to try and pay for at least 6 months of it, to try and get her treated properly. It is so sad to see what can happen here when there just isn't enough money for simple things, and no safety nets.
I am so impressed with the Light Gives Heat volunteers here. I have talked about them before, but they are so great, and work so hard to spend time with the women. I don't understand why, but every day here is so difficult, and takes so much energy. They continue to do such great work (which they have to pay to be able to come and do). If you wouldn't mind, go ahead and comment on their blogs to encourage them even if you don't know them.
I have always thought that there will always be poverty, and that there isn't anything we can do go get rid of it. But I don't think that is correct. I have seen what just a little money and some love and support every week can do for a small group of women. We are called to ease the suffering of the poor as we work to end poverty. Easy to say...but the work is hard.
It is hard to say how different this trip has been than the two shorter trips I took to Honduras. I fill like I am much more a part of what is happening here. I get to hear the stories, and feel some of the pain of poverty and war. It has become much more personal.

Also occurring this week, the Jayhawks won the NCAA tournament!! I hope somebody TIVO'd it so I can see the game when I get back.

Love ya
Josey

No comments: