Friday, April 11, 2008

Warning.....opinion approaching

In response to a comment on my blog (thanks Mom) I will diverge a little from a blog to a bit of a forum. I hope this is ok, I just felt like doing it. The question was asked how do we be more than just a band-aid to the poverty that is here but we don't really see in America. First of all, I think we all need to go and see it for ourselves. I will be the first to admit that I have glassed over the topic of poverty for my entire life, not really knowing or caring that people live in such poverty. Things are so much more important to us if we have experienced it ourselves instead of merely pictures or stories. Secondly, I think even band-aids are good if that is all we have for now. I have heard others (mostly Dave speaking of Bono) say that Africa is in such a crisis now, we must just give the fish even if we cannot teach them to fish for themselves yet. We have to give even if it is just a temporary fix for a bigger problem (people really do starve to death). And then finally, I think we need to change how we live in America. We have been reading a book here called Irresistable Revolution, which is a bit controversial, but I think it says a lot of good things about what Jesus has called Christians to do as far as using only what we need, living simply, caring for the poor, the orphans and the widows, and even selling all we have, giving it to the poor, and following him. I will apologize to Dave if I am speaking for him, but what we are trying to do with the Suubi project is to bring much higher, consistent wages to women here, as well as informing America about what is going on here, and allowing people to play a part in fixing the problem. I think we need to start asking where the products that we buy were made, and whether or not the workers paid a fair wage. Otherwise I feel like we are taking advantage of desperate people. Mostly, I think that my time here has opened my eyes to a need that I am called to be a part of meeting. So that is a little of my opinion on things. Feel free to comment on my blog if you would like.
We went into the rainforest yesterday, and stayed overnight in a lodge, it was awesome. I have never been in a rainforest before. The walls in our room basically opened up to the outside, and the forest was like right there, with monkeys and everything. A long way from Kansas....

2 comments:

Hansow Family said...

Josey - I am leaving a comment that is the same as the one I left on Rachel's - b/c it is applicable to your recent blog:

Yeah I know - such a hard thing to come to terms with - the fact that it's us and for 25 plus years we are the ones who have had things out of whack!

And to realize that it is not all our fault because we live in a insulated world where Consumerism is king - a powerful and wealthy ruler who wants nothing more than to keep us within the 'castle' walls - to keep us disconnected, isolated, and wanting 'more'- more of everything. And when we begin to question the 'king' - where things come from, how they are made, and why we 'need' more then we become treasonous - traitors to the very system we were taught to 'buy' into. And that is hard place to find yourself - trying to live in a world that is ruled by a system that makes your skin crawl and makes your soul scream at the injustice and absurdity in it all!

It's a battle - but you have entered in and your eyes have been opened. Now the journey begins and believe me we need each other -others who have had similar experiences to act as accountability and encouaragement once you return. My heart is torn -desiring to return to Uganda in order to live with ease and joy in the simple life but realizing our job is also to awaken Americans and invite them to take a journey themselves.

But just so you know - I am right there with you and can truly say "I have been there."

When you get home I'll send you and Becca the name of a couple books that speak to these topics and have really been a help in trying to process it all and figuring out how to live here and incorporate what we have experienced and our new convictions.

Thanks for your vulnerability and honesty!

Shara said...

Warning--another opinion from an interesting book I'm reading by Dennis Peacocke, who wrote, "Don't look elsewhere for the causes of this moral cancer--look to the Church. The nations are in misery and Christian civilization is perishing more because of false doctrine in the Church than because of universal sin or Satan's power. The church is where God chooses to act and liberate as he takes His stand. When the church withdraws from society, the institutions within it will decay and increasingly practice inhuman dignities. The nations are perishing because the Church has withdrawn from shaping their laws and influencing their cultures. Christian withdrawal brings decay, collapse and death. But there is no need for this Christian flight from battle: Jesus promised us that greater is He that is in you than he who is in the world." He goes on to write, "In order for us to be liberators of the nations, and truly disciple them, the Church must reinvolve itself in impacting the whole world socially, politically, and culturally for Christ.... True freedom begins with the recognition of your own bondage and your commitment to breaking out of it. Contemporary Christians have allowed themselves to be ghettoized, shoved into a corner where we entertain ourselves and primarily demonstrate our concern for a heavenly future. We have fled from the battlefield on this earth instead of courageously acting to bring God's power to bear in the midst of it."
Is anyone interested in engaging in battle?????